Pork Mince

This forum is for all discussion about types of dog food, different methods of feeding, healthy canine diet, weight loss and anything else to do with feeding your dog.
Pork Mince
25 Jul 2012, 08:26

Post Number:#1

Hello, have just recently in the week before last, I ended up buying my dog Pork Mince, thinking it'll be a nice change but my dog is an elderly Pitbull and her diet has changed so much in the last 6mths as she can't tolerate certain food. But my problem is that she is suffering diarrhoea over the last few days but not real bad, I just thought OMG we didn't think I should've boiled it up to kill any bacteria as I always cook pork chops (well done).
Just want anyone's thoughts as to why we can't buy pork mince in pet store and has anyone fed there dogs Pork Mince before?

Michaela
staffy5-4me
Newly Registered User

Pork Mince
25 Jul 2012, 08:49

Post Number:#2

Raw should be fine... Did you do the change over slowly? Adding a little mince to what she was getting before and increasing it slowly?? Sudden changes in diet can upset their tummies.. What else are you feeding? Ps. Photos please :)

My Girl

This post by Laura has been liked by:
Robert
Rating: 6.67%

Laura

Re: Pork Mince
25 Jul 2012, 09:25

Post Number:#3

is there any reason why you are feeding mince and not bones?
If there is no specific reason I would go to beef bones, chicken wings, pork bones.... pork mince IMO is not as nutritionally balanced as chicken and its higher in fat which may be why she is getting the runs, its too rich for her.
MissChief

25 Jul 2012, 09:26

Post Number:#4

Pork is one of those meats that you DO need to be careful with. Some dogs tolerate it well, others do not. There are things you need to know about pork before using it, so (I suggest you find some sites that relate solely to the feeding of pork to dogs, the do's and don'ts, and from that form your own opinion.)

However, the diarrhea could be caused by a sudden change. Did you introduce the pork gradually into your dog's usual diet over a period of time, or did you just feed your dog the pork, just like that?

I use pork for my dogs. Not a staple part of their diet, but I do feed it nevertheless. However I often freeze it for a suitable amount of time before consumption.
Devils Advocate
Founder

25 Jul 2012, 12:29

Post Number:#5

I never feed my dogs pork, but I can't actually remember why I decided against it. Sorry, that's very unhelpful! I just remember reading somewhere that it can be harmful or is not as good or safe as other meats or something - so I've just always avoided it.
Allie

25 Jul 2012, 12:48

Post Number:#6

Allie, you're probably thinking of the threat of trichinosis.

This post by Devils Advocate has been liked by:
Allie

Devils Advocate
Founder

25 Jul 2012, 13:26

Post Number:#7

staffy5-4me wrote:Hello, have just recently in the week before last, I ended up buying my dog Pork Mince, thinking it'll be a nice change but my dog is an elderly Pitbull and her diet has changed so much in the last 6mths as she can't tolerate certain food. But my problem is that she is suffering diarrhoea over the last few days but not real bad, I just thought OMG we didn't think I should've boiled it up to kill any bacteria as I always cook pork chops (well done).
Just want anyone's thoughts as to why we can't buy pork mince in pet store and has anyone fed there dogs Pork Mince before?

Michaela

I don't know anything about pork specifically, but I wouldn't be concerned about raw meat. Dog's digestive systems are a lot more robust than ours. Are you saying you cook pork chops for your dog? Do you feed the bone as well? Dogs often don't go well with cooked bones. They can splinter and perforate or block the throat, stomach or bowel. You're better off feeding the whole chop raw, less work too.

This post by Kudzu has been liked by:
Chook

Kudzu

25 Jul 2012, 13:46

Post Number:#8

Devils Advocate wrote:Allie, you're probably thinking of the threat of trichinosis.

Yea i thought they did a study on that and modern day pork no loger contains this parasite.
MissChief

25 Jul 2012, 13:53

Post Number:#9

I think the OP meant when they cook pork chops for themselves. At least that's what I thought they were referring to.

Allie, the whole trichinosis debate has been beaten to death over the years. I remember having the debate myself over on DF years ago. At the time not one person could give me any proof that any poisioning or illness related to trichinosis had actually ever occurred here in Australia. As a matter of fact it has been claimed that Australia is not even included in the list of those countries where trichinosis poisioning is a threat or risk, due to Australia's stringent control of pork meat.

So in the end many ppl avoid feeding pork to their dogs because of a belief which is (in my opinion) a complete load of crock. If anything, ppl who don''t feed pork to their dogs choose not to simply because of the fat content and the richness of the meat, which causes some dogs problems. That's why I suggest that ppl feeding pork do their research on it first. For a basic example, dogs susceptible to pancreatitis should not have much pork, if at all. Some dogs will have mild diarrhea, others will be chronic, some will vomit and froth at the mouth a lot, others will have mild digestive reactions. A lot of those reactions though possibly relate to how much pork was fed in any one given meal. Same thing for a lot of dogs regarding the feeding of offal - too much and you will find the same systems.

ETA: Symptoms - NOT systems. Duh.
Devils Advocate
Founder

25 Jul 2012, 13:54

Post Number:#10

MissChief wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:Allie, you're probably thinking of the threat of trichinosis.

Yea i thought they did a study on that and modern day pork no loger contains this parasite.

To my belief there is no threat of trichinosis in Australia. Certainly not from pork purchased in shops, anyway. If however, one is getting pork/meat from wild animals (or other animals for that matter, not just pork) you should freeze it.

This post by Devils Advocate has been liked by:
MissChief

Devils Advocate
Founder

25 Jul 2012, 13:55

Post Number:#11

Kudzu wrote: You're better off feeding the whole chop raw,

But not the crackle .... :b

Hmmmm, pork crackle & apple sauce ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Baldrick's definition of a dog: Not a cat.

This post by Chook has been liked by:
Arctic Moon

Chook
Top Contributing Member

25 Jul 2012, 14:30

Post Number:#12

Devils Advocate wrote:I think the OP meant when they cook pork chops for themselves. At least that's what I thought they were referring to.

I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd throw out the warning just in case.

This post by Kudzu has been liked by:
Devils Advocate

Kudzu

25 Jul 2012, 14:40

Post Number:#13

Kudzu wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:I think the OP meant when they cook pork chops for themselves. At least that's what I thought they were referring to.

I wasn't sure, so I thought I'd throw out the warning just in case.

Yeah, I wasn't sure either. :)
Devils Advocate
Founder

29 Jul 2012, 19:43

Post Number:#14

Thanks to all that replied, and she has recovered from it as it wasn't too bad and gave her medication for it.
But maybe the reaction came from we fed it too fast and didn't introduce it slowly and apparently even being HUMAN Grade Mince if not cooked it will have bacteria in it so with any Pork you need to COOK it really well, as the Vet said that the bacteria will GROW over days in there stomach and get worse so you need to kill it before you eat Pork. And as dogs get old they tend to have alot of different reactions to all sorts of food.

We've kept our old girl on Cooked BBQ or Turkey Mince and rice and vegetables (peas & corn) and all the supplements( calcuim, physillum husk, fish oil) but I'll make sure I'm real careful from now on if I change her food. She's never had a reaction to Human Grade Turkey Mince and Turkey has a lot less fat content in it then pork.
And I'm definitely not one for giving dogs or cats cooked bones always raw or smoked. And with Bones at her age (13) she doesn't have alot of bones anymore, I only give her Beef Brisket bones and she can't have Chicken Wings as she take one chomp on it and then swallow the whole wing.

Cheers
Michaela
staffy5-4me
Newly Registered User

29 Jul 2012, 20:26

Post Number:#15

I dont even eat pork. Its disgusting. Something to do with the female being in heat when its killed and urine and all that jazz. Its not nice enough to worry about eating it imo. Glad you got it sorted though, sounds like your old girl gets spoiled. :)
alkababba

Return to Dog Food and Diet

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest