Natural remedies for dogs suspected sore throat

Post Number:#1

Seems Cassie has a sore throat. She's barely barking and her barking is a little hoarse when she does. Won't eat unless food is sloppy.
Are there any natural remedies??? I'd prefer to try anything natural before a trip to the vet.

I gave her some warm water with a little honey and lemon juice. It seems to have helped a little.

Any suggestions???
Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole!
Netty

Post Number:#2

Probably the bigger thing to think about is why her throat is sore. And, just be aware in the next few days of whether she's getting better or worse - if it's something like a scratch from a sharp bit of bone or swallowing something the wrong way, no worries. But, it could also be bacterial infection, in which case she might need ABs.

Same advice as for kennel cough, though. Manuka honey is great, wet or sloppy warm meals, keep her quiet for 24hrs and reassess.

Good luck! :twohug

The correct number of dogs to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of dogs to own is 3, the correct number of dogs to own is n+1, where n is the number of dogs currently owned.
This equation may also be expressed as s-1, where s is the number of dogs owned that would result in separation from your partner.
Vishi
Banned Users

Post Number:#3

so there's no coughing? She has no mucus coming up or gluey eyes or anything else like that, just the throat? Has she been barking a lot more than usual lately?
Devils Advocate
Founder

Post Number:#4

No mucus or coughing. Lethargic, refuses to eat solid food but is happy with rice and chicken, not barking much.
She been barking a little more the usual prior yo the last few days. I have been giving her a few bones lately. Nose it cold and wet. She seems to have a little trouble swallowing. I checked her throat and couldn't see anything. I checked her collar wasn't to tight. She looks very tired.
No vomiting today. She threw up Saturday, but she has occasionally thrown up since the pancreatitis.
She picks up in the evening /afternoon

Oh thinks she is pining for me. Behaviour only changed since last week when I was barely home.
Netty

Post Number:#5

I wouldn't think of behaviour just yet if you think she's having troubles swallowing. I'd be thinking of other medical options first.

Hope she's feeling better soon :sad

The correct number of dogs to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of dogs to own is 3, the correct number of dogs to own is n+1, where n is the number of dogs currently owned.
This equation may also be expressed as s-1, where s is the number of dogs owned that would result in separation from your partner.
Vishi
Banned Users

Post Number:#6

Thanks vish me too. I hate it when she's not well.

She's been my everything for too long, despite her intricateness.
Netty

Post Number:#7

She might just have laryngitis. Give it a few days to a week, see how she goes. If no improvement, then best to get her to a vet then to be sure there's no infection lurking. Obviously if she worsens get her in promptly!
Laryngitis is much the same with dogs as it is with us. They are not hacking and coughing their guts up all the time, like some dogs do if they have contracted a strain of KC. They do not usually bring up mucus as they would if they had bronchitis or chest infections.

Keep up with the honey. Tepid drinks with honey in them can also help, as you've already found. There are human medicines that can help the throat, but unfortunately they cannot be given to a dog who has pancreatic issues.
Devils Advocate
Founder

Post Number:#8

Thanks DA she seems a little better after the lemon & honey drink.

I'll keep up with the honey drink and ill keep her meals small and mushy. I'll give her until next Monday before I call the vet. Unless she gets worse obviously...
Netty

Post Number:#9

Lots of fluids too, naturally.
Devils Advocate
Founder

Post Number:#10

As much as I can get into her DA shes not a big drinker normally...
She drinks enough to keep herself hydrated.

She has 2 water bowls & a huge bucket of water in the run. One bowl is honey water the other 2 normal water.

She had soft rice and chicken for breakfast. And rather then a bone today I filled her chew Kong with her favourite peanut butter.

To make sure there is nothing underlying I wormed her this morning, I was gonna wait until she was better, but decided it can't really hurt.
Netty

Post Number:#11

Tiffany

Post Number:#12

Well it seems the honey in water may have done the trick. Cassie is almost back to normal. She spent most of tonight playing with buster. I love it when they play together, its interesting to watch.

I will continue soft food for a few more days to make sure though.

Many thanks to all for your help/advice.

This post by Netty has been liked by: 3
emmaNattywitchies bitch
Rating: 20%

Netty

Return to Natural Remedies

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest